- Ahead of time, whip butter with salt and pepper, fresh chopped thyme, a little fresh lemon juice, fold in roquefort cheese. Roll in wax paper into a cylinder shape and chill. The wax paper should be rolled around the butter like a tube, not rolled up with the butter like a newspaper.
- Steaks should be at least 1" thick. I used 1.5".
- Preheat oven to 375° to 400° F.
- Pat steaks dry. Season to taste.
- Heat a little oil in a pan over medium heat. When pepper dropped into the oil sizzles, add steaks. Sear on each side for 2 to 3 minutes. I went a little short because the steaks started looking done VERY fast. Do not be alarmed. Next time I'll do the entire 3 minutes on my thick steaks.
- Place whole pan in oven for 3-5 minutes until the steaks are done to taste.
- Cut butter cylinder into slices. Place butter slices on steaks while they are hot from the oven so the butter melts over the steak.
Monday, February 15, 2010
My wife has some friends who are chefs who told me the way to cook a steak in an oven and have it come out excellent. Here is the procedure: