Monday, February 15, 2010

Awesome Steaks

My wife has some friends who are chefs who told me the way to cook a steak in an oven and have it come out excellent. Here is the procedure:
  • Ahead of time, whip butter with salt and pepper, fresh chopped thyme, a little fresh lemon juice, fold in roquefort cheese. Roll in wax paper into a cylinder shape and chill. The wax paper should be rolled around the butter like a tube, not rolled up with the butter like a newspaper.
  • Steaks should be at least 1" thick. I used 1.5".
  • Preheat oven to 375° to 400° F.
  • Pat steaks dry. Season to taste.
  • Heat a little oil in a pan over medium heat. When pepper dropped into the oil sizzles, add steaks. Sear on each side for 2 to 3 minutes. I went a little short because the steaks started looking done VERY fast. Do not be alarmed. Next time I'll do the entire 3 minutes on my thick steaks.
  • Place whole pan in oven for 3-5 minutes until the steaks are done to taste.
  • Cut butter cylinder into slices. Place butter slices on steaks while they are hot from the oven so the butter melts over the steak.
  • Eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment